Animating Spawning Points from a center point in Nodebox3

kurtzwrk

28 Jan, 2015 11:41 PM

I'm stuck trying to do something that I would have imagined to be easy. It's quite possible that I've over complicated things for myself. I feel like I need something like a for loop to do this but I don't where to find that in Nodebox 3.

Basically I want to spawn points from 0,0 and have them move outward from the center at random angels. I then want to connect a quad curve node from the 0,0 point to the others to make nice curved lines emanating from the center.

Any thoughts, advice, direction would be greatly appreciated.

1. 1 Posted by grolicus on 29 Jan, 2015 01:36 PM

Different possibilities.
    But if you want controllable "nice curved lines", I would create an Ellipse (or a Star), then Resample this to create the required number of end points, and then Wiggle these to my liking.
    But if randomness or intersecting lines is what you prefer, perhaps a simple Scatter within a shape of your choice could suffice.

2. 2 Posted by kurtzwrk on 30 Jan, 2015 01:00 AM

That's more or less what i've tried see the attached file. what I was hoping for was to have the lines continually growing or emanating from the center point as opposed to simply popping into existence as you can see in the attached file.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by lievenmenschaer... on 30 Jan, 2015 03:44 PM

Hi,

You will need a counter to create something like continuous growing. That relies on feedback which is not supported in NB3.

A counter could be easily imported over some user code (code libraries). Another possibility to create something like a growing effect is by using a wave node and changing the offset for each curve. Depending on the type of wave you will see growing back and forth, away from the center, etc..

Here is a small example with a subnetwork for the curves.

4. 4 Posted by kurtzwrk on 31 Jan, 2015 08:33 AM

Thank you for the suggestion on the wave. With regards to the counter that would seem closer to the solution I was thinking of. Is it possible for me to use a bit of code from Nodebox1 to do this inside of a custom node built in nodebox3?

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by lucasnijs on 02 Feb, 2015 09:24 AM

Hi,

something like this? The lines follow the resampled points of the quad curves, but it could be any curve of course.
    The NodeBox file will generate initially an error, this can be solved by going to metadata of the slice node and change the list port to value. You will need to do this every time you reopen the file. Obviously it is not saved whitin the file, sorry for that.
    regards,

Lucas

6. 6 Posted by kurtzwrk on 02 Feb, 2015 06:53 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies the help is greatly appreciated. Lucasnijs thanks you for the movie and file. The movie is exactly what I was attempting. The file has some errors in it though. Overall an incredible use of the system to animate like this.

On Quad Curve 3 I get a "list has no attribute X". Is this possibly an issue cause by version mismatch? I'm on the latest version.

Thanks again for the help!

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by lucasnijs on 02 Feb, 2015 08:54 PM

Hi kurtwrk,

like i mentioned in my reply: go to the slice node into the metadata and change the list port to export value not list. It was a bug that this does not get saved in the file and you have to redo this every time you open the file again. We are working on a fix. So no, it is not a version problem,

grtz

8. 8 Posted by kurtzwrk on 05 Feb, 2015 12:07 AM

Hi Lucas,

Again thank you for the help and apologies for the issues I'm having. I did as you suggested but I still get an error. The error changes based on whether I select List or Value. I've attached screenshots of the resulting error based on whether it's list or value. By the way, I'm on Windows 8.1 just in case that has anything to do with it.

Best,
    Bill

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Stefan Gabriels on 05 Feb, 2015 08:41 AM

Hello,

You put the outputrange of the node itself to 'value', but this should be kept at 'list'. first select 'list' in the left column and then you can put 'range' to value in the center column.

Then it should work, but yes, this will be fixed in the next release.

10. 10 Posted by kurtzwrk on 05 Feb, 2015 10:20 PM

Hi Stefan, thanks for the correction on that. It now works. Also so super interesting that you can change those settings in MetaData for each node. Thanks again to you and lucas.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

22 Feb, 2024 05:51 AM
22 Feb, 2024 01:11 AM
21 Feb, 2024 05:27 PM