Cannot Resize Canvas

Charles McLane

29 Aug, 2014 03:08 PM

I downloaded NB 3.0.39 for Mac and am having two related problems. When I would create an image in previous versions and export to PDF, the PDF image was cropped to the exact outer boundary of my image. That no longer seems to be the case - - the canvas is set to 1000 x 1000 and much of my image is cut off (missing) from the PDF.

So then I did an internet search and found that the user can set the canvas size in the newer version of NB under File / Document Properties. I tried to change the canvas height and width values and clicked Save, but the canvas size does not change.

Why does export PDF not auto-size in the newest version?

How do I manually change the canvas size?

1. 1 Posted by Tim Holmes on 01 Sep, 2014 02:11 AM

Hi Charles,
    Canvas does seem to have additional complexity that comes with the new flexibility...
    I had the same problem changing canvas size until I started 'forcing' the values I had entered by tabbing to the next value and then saving.
    What would be great is a node that gave you figures to enter into the canvas size... (my figures often don't start at 0,0 so I end up making the canvas by trial and error).
    Hope this helps!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Frederik De Ble... on 01 Sep, 2014 08:20 AM

Indeed: the width / height values in the document properties are quite "stubborn". This is a UI flaw. Make sure you press ENTER after inputting each value, then clicking save. That should work.

We might also re-introduce a "fit to canvas" node. The issue before was that the bounds were correct, but wouldn't take line width into account, i.e. a composition with a single, vertical line would have a width of zero.

3. 3 Posted by Charles McLane on 01 Sep, 2014 07:32 PM

Thank you both for your help. By making sure to tab to the next value or press ENTER after changing each value, NodeBox recognized and accepted the changes in canvas size.

Now a related question. How should I interpret or understand the parameters canvasX and canvasY? I thought they were the X, Y coordinate pair for the center of the canvas (because that is how the canvas bounds are drawn when I open NB with the canvas center at 0, 0). I wanted to change the canvas location to make the lower left corner at 0,0 so I entered canvasX = 500, canvasY = -500. But it didn't work. I needed to change the values to canvasX = -500, canvasY = 500.

If canvasX and canvasY are not the center coordinates of the canvas, what are they?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Frederik De Ble... on 02 Sep, 2014 09:55 AM

canvasX and canvasY are the translation values of the canvas. They're what gets added to the canvas bounds to move it.

5. 5 Posted by Charles McLane on 02 Sep, 2014 12:25 PM

Making the following assumptions for NB drawing space:
    X is positive to the right
    Y is positive down
    0,0 is at the center of the default rectangle object displayed with NB opens, and
    the canvas space and corners are as displayed when Bounds is checked

then it appears that canvasX and canvasY values are subtracted from the four corner coordinates of the canvas bounds, not added.

Can someone confirm this or are my assumptions incorrect?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

22 Feb, 2024 05:51 AM
22 Feb, 2024 01:11 AM
21 Feb, 2024 05:27 PM