linking data in an ellipse shape

Judie

13 Aug, 2014 10:08 AM

Hi,

I have data containing a number of concepts and the paper (represented by a number) they appear within. For example:

transparency, 15
transparency, 3
data, 15
data, 12

I am trying to visualise this data as an arc diagram (something similar to this http://nodebox.net/node/documentation/using/xdata-visualization-metallicd.png.pagespeed.ic.9vEv0p27ch.png in the Creating Data Visualisations page), where the data is in the shape of a circle, and arcs show the links between my data. I am having difficulty in linking the data, due to the nature of the relationship. This is because a concept appears in a number of papers, yet a paper has also a number of different concepts.

Apart from the tutorials in the Creating Data Visualisations page, I also tried following this example to understand how to link, however I still did not manage:
http://support.nodebox.net/discussions/nodebox-2-3/3311-connecting-through-the-link-node

Attached please find my progress until now. The red blob in the centre is what were supposed to be the arcs/links.

I would appreciate any help in pointing me towards the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by lucasnijs on 13 Aug, 2014 04:18 PM

Hi, without your csv file we can not look at this,

Lucas

2. 2 Posted by Judie on 13 Aug, 2014 05:40 PM

So sorry! Attached please find the csv.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by lucasnijs on 14 Aug, 2014 08:50 AM

Okay, I'm not sure if it is what you want but at least it reduces the amount of shapes you were generating. Because you used all the points of the text paths NodeBox was generating more than 100000 shapes (through list matching) I assigned the points of where the elements reside on the circle and then sliced the list according the amount of data. So each part of your data has its segment on the circle. Then through your zip map you can connect the rectangles you put on those points. Anyway have a look at the attached file.
    grtz,

Lucas

4. 4 Posted by Judie on 14 Aug, 2014 11:34 AM

The visualisation is exactly how I require it to be, however the original problem of the actual links is still here. I tried using a zip_map using a small set of data, however it is still not being mapped correctly. For example, as you can see "6" is not being linked to any concept, even though it is in the data. "innovation" is also linked with the wrong numbers.

Thanks,

Judie

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by lucasnijs on 14 Aug, 2014 04:32 PM

Sorry, I did not check the file well enough! Attached is the solution you want. Your zipmaps were wrong. Basically I zipmapped for having two lists of points, which then are linked.

grtz,

Lucas

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• trial_1.ndbx 5.6 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

22 Feb, 2024 05:51 AM
22 Feb, 2024 01:11 AM
21 Feb, 2024 05:27 PM