Cartan Node Library 3.0

john

22 Mar, 2022 06:13 PM

Attached is the latest upgrade to my node library!

Version 3.0 includes 101 nodes. All nodes are free for use with no restrictions.

To use: with your current project open use File/Open Recent to open node library 3-0.ndbx in another window. Then just copy/paste the desired node from the library into your project. A few of the nodes also require adding a code library module (included).

Version 3.0 features a completely new and simplified layout. There is no more demo tree. Instead, the demo subnetworks are arranged just as the nodes are, in columns by output type, and placed just below the node block. The demo node is colored and named like the node demoed (node name with a trailing _); this should make it much easier to find the demo for a given node. I have also added green column labels. Thanks to Floris for these suggestions.

In place of the demo tree is a single LIBRARY node which displays descriptions for each node in separate category tables. You can also roll over the nodes to see a popup description for each one. For those who found the illustrated poster useful don't worry. I now provide it as a separate PDF (attached). The poster ie reformatted to match the category layout of the nodes. From now on there is just one constant layout to refer to.

WHAT'S NEW

New Nodes:

Improvements:

• Even_sample. No longer requires external make_curve library, Minor performance improvements. Demo includes an alternative node, easy_sample, that does not have a contour option and so does not need any external libraries; you can use this instead when sampling simple paths.
  • Intersect. The "Extend lines" option, now "Extend line", only extends the intersection line, not every line in the path. An error which could occur on horizontal lines has been fixed.
  • Intersect_line. Fixed rare error with collinear lines.
  • Intersect_circle. Added option not to extend line.
  • Area. Changed description to clarify that area only works correctly on polygons (not curved shapes). You can resample curved shapes for more accurate results.
  • Fragments. Works correctly in all situations. See http://support.nodebox.net/discussions/show-your-work/490-fragments...
  • Diff_list. Now works correctly even if some items appear more than once in the same input list.
  • Draw_table. Now shows headings in bold. Added a position parameter.
  • Easing. Changed parameters. Now works exactly like convert_range. You no longer need to use a separate convert_range node to manage animations which do not begin with the first frame.
  • Wind_letters now provides a help message if you fail to attach a spiral path.
  • Colors. I surfaced a seed control for use when shuffling colors.

NOTE: Starting with this release I will add a version reference to the front of popup descriptions for every node that has been updated from its original version. This should make it easier to tell whether you are using the latest nodes in your projects. Thanks again to Floris for this suggestion.

Deprecated Nodes.

• Hexgrid. Replaced by alt_grid and hexagons; see above.

As always, please reply to this note and let me know that you saw it. This helps me know if anyone is using this library. If you find any issues with any of these nodes, or have suggestions for improvements or new nodes, PLEASE let me know. I hope you all have as much fun using this library as I had making it.

Go forth and create!

John

1. 1 Posted by florisdejonge on 05 Apr, 2022 06:03 PM

Hi John, Thanks for sharing the new library! I am looking forward to using it.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by john on 13 Apr, 2022 09:26 PM

Thanks, Floris. Apparently you are the only one.

Have you tried the new layout yet? Do you find it easier to use? Any other suggestions for improvements?

John

3. 3 Posted by florisdejonge on 14 Apr, 2022 07:38 PM

John. I haven't been able to find the opportunity the past couple of weeks to take a thorough look around the library and discover its particularities, but when I do, I'll let you know.

Really like the 'explanation interface animations' you've shared on Instagram by the way. I liked the artwork as well, but the visualisation of the process was very intriguing.

Floris

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Node_Library_3-0_Screenshot.png 916 KB
  • Node_Library_3.0_Poster.pdf 4.07 MB
  • Cartan_Node_Library_3-0.zip 1.3 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

24 May, 2022 06:27 PM
24 May, 2022 11:36 AM
20 May, 2022 04:12 PM