Easing Node

john

20 Aug, 2020 07:56 PM

Behold! An easing node for all your animation and gradient needs.

Easing functions are used to specify varying rates of change over time for animations like a bouncing ball, an object that gets off to a slow start, a magnet that pulls in objects quickly as they approach, etc. It can also be used to provide fine control over gradients or camera motions like panning and zooming.

Easing provides ten different commonly used methods based on this guide: https://easings.net

Settings are as follows:

• The T port controls the change. Feed in a frame node for an animation, or a range node to produce a gradient.
  • Duration is the total number of frames in the animation or the width of the gradient.
  • Start and End define the range of values you wish to produce. To drop a ball from 300 pixels above the X axis onto a floor along the X axis, set Start to -300 and End to 0. To spin an object 360 degrees, set Start to 0 and End to 360.
  • Method controls the shape of the easing curve. Sine, Quad, Cubic, Quart, Quint, and Expo produce increasingly steep curves. Circ provides a more circular curve. Back is useful for objects that pull back slightly before launching, slightly overshoot before settling, or both. Elastic and Bounce mimic physical movements like the twang of a plucked string or the bounce of a ball.
  • Use the checkboxes to apply the effect at the beginning (Ease In), at the end (Ease Out), or both. Leaving both boxes unchecked produces a simple linear change.

The back and elastic methods will produce some values outside your start and end values, but otherwise all output will be within the defined range. Feeding a T value less than 0 will output the start value; feed a T greater than the duration will output the end value.

The Easing node is created entirely using standard NodeBox nodes, so no external code is needed.

Power user tip: Because of the way NodeBox works, the node actually calculates all ten methods regardless of the one you choose. The calculation time should still be fast enough for normal usage, but if the node causes long overall render times for your animation, you can speed it up significantly by reaching inside the node and setting the output to the one method you are using, thus bypassing the switches. Some of the methods use constants to define the exact shape of the curve (e.g. the depth of each bounce); if you wish to fine tune the shape of a given curve you can adjust these constants.

Demo network and screenshot attached. Render the four bottom nodes to produce a chart of all the method curves, a curve for just one method and in/out setting, an animation of a ball drop, or a grid of 30 spinning letters, one for each method.

Easing will be included in the next release of my node library. All of my nodes are free to use with no restrictions.

Enjoy!

John

1. 1 Posted by Guilherme Vieir... on 21 Sep, 2020 06:33 PM

Hello John,

One of my students ask me how to use your node in loop like the wave node.

I shared my way to do this with a combination of the reverse node to make the easing in both directions, the shift node and frame node to animate the list and first node to pick just one element of the list to use.

It's the better way to do that? Can you imagine a more simple and direct solution?

Thanks

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by john on 21 Sep, 2020 09:30 PM

Great question!

There are many ways of doing this. One way is to simply hook an easing node to the output of a wave node. Another way is to ease motion in one direction, ease it in the opposite direction, and switch back and forth between the two.

I show all these variations in a quick demo (see attached zip file). The demo shows five variations of back and forth movement:

• triangle wave for linear in both directions
    • sine wave (a simple way of easing without an easing node)
    • triangle wave with an easing node added
    • sine wave with an easing node added
    • back and forth switching between one easing forward and another in reverse

The convert_range node is handy in all of the cases: it can convert the frame node into a particular and repeating range of values. The mod node is also useful for making a value that can drive a switch node back and forth. The first four methods produce a mirror image of the easing effect; the fifth one allows you to use a different easing in each direction.

The demo assumes a overall duration of 200 frames. You can fiddle with the settings on the different easing nodes to see what happens.

Hope this helps! Please pass this along to your student and let me know if anyone has more questions. Of course they can always ask me directly here on the forum.

John

3. 3 Posted by Guilherme Vieir... on 22 Sep, 2020 04:50 PM

Wow! How I don't imagined use the wave node itself for doing that loop in Easing node?

Using the convert range together is a very simple way to get a more simple control over the final values.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• easings_screenshot.png 559 KB
  • easing_test.zip 54.5 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

04 Dec, 2020 05:55 PM
26 Nov, 2020 05:10 AM
20 Nov, 2020 04:35 AM