Gears!

john

26 Mar, 2020 09:40 AM

Attached is a whimsical node which makes gears - actual gears which can be made to interlock and turn at appropriate speeds and directions.

You can use this node to create a wide variety of gears by setting the following parameters:

• diameter
  • number of teeth
  • height of each tooth
  • position of the gear
  • gear color
  • gear style: solid, hollow, or struts

By default the struts style has five struts, but you can easily change this by altering the struts parameter of the struts node inside the gear subnetwork. You could also adjust the thickness of the struts, size of the inner gear hole, thickness of the ring in hollow gears, etc.

In order to make the gear turn, just attach a value to its rotation port. Hooking a frame node directly to rotation port will cause the gear to spin clockwise. If you position multiple gears of different sizes so that their teeth intermesh, you will want to turn those driven gears at a speed proportional to gear driving them. For best results the ratio of gear diameters should equal the ratio of gear teeth.

To simplify this process, the demo includes examples of a transmission node. Input the same signal used to drive the driver gear in its reference port then enter the diameters for the source (driver) and target (driven) gears to establish the correct speed ratio. Adjust the offset to precisely position the intermeshing of the teeth. Check or uncheck the negate checkbox to reverse the direction of the driven gear (clockwise gears turn directly driven gears counterclockwise and vice versa).

The demo contains an example with several different gear chains of varying sizes and styles (hit play to see them all move). Zip file and screenshot attached. I have also attached an animation showing a different arrangement of gears.

The possibilities are endless. I would LOVE it if someone would make some gear animations using this node and post them in this forum.

John

1. 1 Posted by gotankersley on 26 Mar, 2020 08:13 PM

Nice! Who doesn't love a good gear?

Thanks for sharing, great implementation :-)

(Also love the spiral_primary video - it's very cathartic)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by john on 27 Mar, 2020 03:25 AM

Thank you!

I don't have access to the forum stats so when I post something I have no idea if anyone ever sees it. So I deeply appreciate it when someone like you pipes up.

John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Gear_Screenshot.png 632 KB
  • Gear_Demo.zip 92.2 KB
  • spiral_primary.mp4 5.82 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

05 Apr, 2020 10:29 PM
02 Apr, 2020 07:12 PM
31 Mar, 2020 07:58 AM