Drawing a Chess Piece with find_arc

john

05 Dec, 2019 07:05 AM

Drawing complex curves (splines) is tricky in any tool. CADCAM users learn by practicing with drafting diagrams like this widely used diagram of a chess knight (attached).

In order to do this kind of thing in Nodebox I needed a new node: find_arc. Find_arc returns a circular arc between any two points. Just scrub the offset value and flip the inward/outward checkbox to get the curve you need. Turn on the "show marks" option to get continuous feedback of the radius used to construct the arc - very handy for following drafting diagrams.

As you can see in the attached screenshot (and zipped NodeBox file), I was able to exactly reproduce the chess knight in Nodebox working only from the drafting diagram. The shape consists of 13 curves (found using 13 find_arc nodes) plus part of a rectangle and four line segments.

To create this knight I also used point_on_path to take sub-arcs from hidden circles and several other special nodes from my Nodebox Library:

• sub_path to make an easily adjustable portion of an arc

• rev_dir to reverse the direction of a particular curve segment

• clean to remove duplicate successive points (which eliminates drawing artifacts when saving PNGs)

With a little practice I think you could turn any drafting diagram into a complex NodeBox path. And find_arc has many other uses. The demo network also contains nodes to animate a flower-like pattern of arcs connecting the corners of a polygon.

I will soon be adding find_arc to the next update of my node library. Comments and questions welcome!

John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• knight_cadcam.png 36 KB
  • find_arc_knight_screenshot.png 444 KB
  • find_arc.zip 87.9 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

04 Jul, 2020 08:13 AM
07 Jun, 2020 04:08 AM
04 Jun, 2020 11:48 PM