Metatron's Cube

john

07 Jan, 2018 06:26 AM

A friend of mine asked me about a figure from sacred geometry called Metatron's Cube - so I decided to make one using NodeBox.

Metatron's cube consists of 13 circles linked together in a certain way. There are many possible ways of drawing it; I challenged myself to make one using less than 13 nodes.

My solution uses only 11 nodes. The linkAll subnetwork (which draws lines from every circle to every other circle) is a rare example of a single-node subnetwork. It's just a line node. The same set of positions are fed into it once as individual values and once as a list.

Because of the way I made it, the central circle is actually three overlapping circles. If need be you can easily remove the duplicates by adding two slice nodes after the ungroup (remove circles 7, then 11). If you are into this sort of thing, you can highlight different line segments in different colors to show the shadows of various 3D and higher dimensional shapes hidden within the cube.

The whole thing took me only a few minutes and is a nice example of how easily NodeBox can draw certain things.

Enjoy!

John

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by john on 08 Jan, 2018 11:13 AM

Here is a puzzle for you NodeBoxers...

Can you make this same figure using less than 11 nodes?

If you give up, I've attached a solution with only 9 nodes.

Can anyone do even better?

John

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by lucasnijs on 18 Jan, 2018 02:41 PM

Hello John,

always in for a challenge. Here is one with 7. But I suppose you count the one in the network as an extra...so 8!

cheers,

Lucas

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by lucasnijs on 18 Jan, 2018 02:48 PM

And oh yeah, I do not need another one to rotate it.

regards,

Lucas

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by john on 19 Jan, 2018 02:16 AM

Lucas,

Ingenious! Well done!

I do count the one in the network as an extra, so your score is 8. I don't see how anyone could beat it.

In all my time with NodeBox, I never paid any attention to the points port in the line node; I always left it at 2. Now I see how useful it can be. Thanks.

That was fun. Maybe we should have more contests like this. Is there anyone else besides me and Lucas who would want to join in?

John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• metatron's_cube.zip 1.27 KB
  • metatron_screenshot.png 643 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

12 Feb, 2018 07:14 AM
03 Feb, 2018 10:39 PM
03 Feb, 2018 10:28 PM