Accordion

john

06 Jan, 2018 11:43 AM

Attached is a demo of accordion, a subnet that allows you to spread and tilt points on a path. The demo contains four varied animations.

Accordion works like resample, but gives you more control about how the points are positioned.

-- Number is the number of points. Odd and even numbers create slightly different effects
-- Distance controls the amount of spread. Zero is evenly spaced. Positive distance causes the points to spread out from the center in a proportional way. Negative distance pulls points into the center.
-- Tilt works just like tilt on the quad_curve node. 50 is normal. Decrease to tilt points in one direction, increase to tilt the other way. For best results stay close to 50.
-- Path is what the points are distributed across.

You can create a surprising number of effects with the accordion subnet node. The demo give four examples. All demos are tied to a frame node, so double click the bottom-most node in each clump and hit play to see the animations. GIFs and MP4s attached below - set each mp4 to loop.

-- Demo 1: accordion attached to a semicircular arc. Lines from the origin to each point create an effect like opening and closing a book.

-- Demo 2: points spread across a rotating quad curve with varying distance and tilt. The points anchor a sting of circles, each one sized to they never quite touch; as they spread in and out the circles grow and shrink accordingly. The same changing values that control the quad curve and accordion settings also drive "graph paper" formed by spreading and contracting horizontal and vertical lines.

-- Demo 3: spreading and contracting horizontal and vertical lines create a mosaic of colored rectangles which grow and shrink. In order to independently color the rectangular spaces between line intersections I used another powerful subnet: fragment. Fragment turns a single pattern of intersecting shapes into a list of separate contours. It requires my path_string custom node.

-- Demo 4: a colored bellows-like fan opens and closes.

If you create something cool with accordion, please share it. Enjoy!

John

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Frederik De Ble... on 08 Jan, 2018 10:22 AM

That's a very cool animation technique!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by john on 08 Jan, 2018 10:44 AM

Thanks, Frederik!

It's not just for animation, by the way. I originally developed it so I could spread out elements in the design of a shoe sole - see:

http://support.nodebox.net/discussions/nodebox-2-3/5991-change-size-of-object-by-distance-to-line

I think it may have many possible uses.

John

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Accordion_Screenshot.png 579 KB
  • accordion.zip 32.6 KB
  • motion3.gif 412 KB
  • motion3_with_graph_paper.mp4 479 KB
  • stained_glass.mp4 613 KB
  • fan.mp4 798 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

13 Aug, 2018 07:15 AM
04 Aug, 2018 02:10 PM
03 Aug, 2018 09:28 AM