NodeBox Analyzer

john

28 Nov, 2017 07:47 AM

Attached is a NodeBox network that reads in one or more NodeBox ndbx files and produces summaries of its contents.

If you render the "parse" subnet (screenshot 1) it creates a table with one row for each node in each network showing:
  - the network
  - the node's level (1 = top level, 2 = subnetwork, 3 = sub-subnetwork, etc.)
  - the node name
  - its category (string, list, etc.)
  - its type
  - it's position on the canvas

If you render the "make_table2" node (screenshot 2) it creates a table showing overall node counts broken down by category and type.

The attached demo network is set to analyze itself. But if you use my recently published Directory Nodes to create a list of NodeBox ndbx files and feed that list into the "path" node, you will get a combined survey of all those networks. And if you feed the node counts table into my recently published Treemap you can chart your overall node usage. See attached PNG and PDF.

Using this technique I discovered that I have created 285 NodeBox networks to date and placed a total of 76,469 nodes. You can see my relative node usage in the treemap: lots of lookup nodes (7890 of them!), a surprisingly high number of network and null nodes (I often use null nodes inside by subnetworks), combine nodes, add nodes, etc. You can also see which nodes I rarely use - and which nodes I have yet to use. The complete list is attached as a CSV.

For the record, the only NodeBox nodes I have not yet used:
  - Distribute
  - Pick
  - Degrees
  - E
  - Even
  - Odd
  - Reflect
  - As Binary List
  - As Binary String
  - Ends With
  - Word Count
  - most of the Device nodes

(This motivates me to make a network that uses all of these nodes!)

I did this analysis just out of curiosity, but I have already found it surprisingly useful. If someone asks me to solve a problem involving, say, a star node I can no look up in my table and see if I have ever used that node before and which networks I used it in. My sample size is probably large enough to be a pretty fair approximation of general NodeBox usage and so could provide insights into how people use NodeBox. I think I will find other uses for this as well.

Enjoy!

John

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Frederik De Ble... on 28 Nov, 2017 06:25 PM

This is really useful (and pretty!)!

Another nice use case would be to figure out which you nodes you would most likely use after you used another node, so you get a list of suggestions. Wolfram does this using its predictive interface.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Analyzer_Screenshot_1.png 763 KB
  • Analyzer_Screenshot_2.png 370 KB
  • Node_Usage.png 173 KB
  • Node_Usage.pdf 205 KB
  • Cartan_Node_Usage.zip 1.75 KB
  • NodeBox_Analyzer.zip 2.84 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

16 Jun, 2022 05:30 AM
15 Jun, 2022 06:03 AM
06 Jun, 2022 01:07 PM